Fostering culture, community and economic vitality in Winchester's historic downtown business district since 1980.
Main Street Winchester, formerly known as Winchester First, is dedicated to the revitalization of downtown Winchester, KY. We are committed to fostering a vibrant downtown community that celebrates its unique traditions, historic architecture, and the community's entrepreneurial spirit. We are proud to be a member of the Kentucky Main Street program and a Main Street America accredited program.
Our partners, board members, and staff are passionate advocates, dedicated volunteers, influential stakeholders, and community organizers who work every day to make our community better - catalyzing reinvestment, creating jobs, and fostering pride in our community.
Main Street Winchester is guided by a board of eleven community members appointed by the mayor. The MSW board is devoted to planning, promoting, and preserving the downtown business district - the hub of our community – for the greater good of the business, professional, social, cultural and service activities located within the defined downtown area.
What We've Achieved With our partners
- The re-installation of the historically accurate 5-globe street lights in 1983, which have become a symbol of the city
- Named Top Five Most Romantic Main Street in America by Main Street America in 2015
- MSW hosts a roster of events each year that draws visitors to the city and enhances the economic vitality of the downtown business district
- Created the one and only Beer Cheese Festival in the world, which draws crowds from all over the country
- Burial of power lines on Main Street and Wall Alley
- Sponsored the creation of 4 beautiful murals celebrating our community and heritage in the downtown district
- For information about the Downtown Development Master Plan we are currently working on, click here